Useful links

General Law

The website lists useful resources, organised by topic, that are available on the web and in print from public libraries across NSW or in the State Library of NSW.

LawAccess is a free legal information service from NSW Legal Aid Commission providing legal information, referralsand in some cases, advice for people who have a legal problem in NSW. Phone: 1300 888 529.

Legal Aid provides a range of services including legal advice, help at court and family dispute resolution to people who qualify for legal aid. Free legal advice is provided at Legal Aid Offices throughout NSW.

Community Legal Centres NSW is the peak body for community legal centres in NSW and can provide you with the contact details of all community legal centres in NSW.

The National Association of CLCs can provide you with the contact details of all community legal centres across Australia.

The Solicitor Referral Service of the Law Society of New South Wales helps members of the public find a private firm of solicitors or accredited specialists in specific areas of law.

Going to Court

  • Local Courts NSW
    • This website provides information about going to the local court in NSW including location of courts, services provided, forms and fees.
  • District Court
    • The District Court of NSW is the ‘middle’ court in the State’s legal system. The Court consists of the Chief Judge and other Judges as the Governor may appoint. It is a trial Court and can hear certain appeals. The Court has both a criminal and civil jurisdiction, and the Judges preside over some tribunals.

Aboriginal Legal Services

  • Aboriginal Legal Service
    • ALS provides advice and representation for both Indigenous adults and young people in criminal law, children's care and protection law and family law matters.
  • Wirringa Baiya Aboriginal Women’s Legal Centre
    • A state-wide service for Aboriginal women and children with a focus on domestic violence, sexual assault, child sexual assault and other issues of violence.

Family Law

  • Family Court of Australia
    • Information on the Family Court of Australia including forms, fees, court lists and locations and information on family law.
  • Family Law Court - Divorce
    • Information on divorce and copies of forms.
  • Child Support Agency
    • Child Support Agency is responsible for administering Australia's Child Support Scheme, supporting separated parents to transfer payments for the benefit of their children.


  • Anti-Discrimination Board
    • The Anti-Discrimination Board of NSW is part of the NSW Attorney General’s Department. It promotes anti-discrimination, equal opportunity principles and administers the anti-discrimination laws of New South Wales.
  • Australian Centre for Disability Law
    • The Australian Centre for Disability Law was set up in 1994 to help people with disability to use disability discrimination laws. Their role is to provide accurate and easy to comprehend advice to people with disability in NSW who want to make a complaint of disability discrimination. Friends, family members or advocates who want to stop disability discrimination can also use the centre.
  • Australian Human Rights Commission
    • The goal of the Australian Human Rights Commission is to foster greater understanding and protection of human rights in Australia and to address the human rights concerns of a broad range of individuals and groups. They are an independent statutory organisation.
  • HIV/AIDS Legal Centre
    • The HIV/AIDS Legal Centre is a community legal centre that specialises in HIV related legal matters.

Domestic Violence

  • Approved Counselling Scheme
    • Provides free face-to-face counselling to victims of violent crimes that have occurred in New South Wales. Counsellors are available in most rural and regional areas in New South Wales.
  • Domestic Violence Line
    • The Domestic Violence Line is a free statewide 24 hour telephone crisis counselling and referral service. The line is staffed by trained female counsellors. They can help you even if you live in the country or a remote area. You can ring the Domestic Violence line from anywhere in NSW, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They can also arrange interpreters. 1800 656 463 TTY 1800 671 442.
  • Emergency Services
    • Police/Fire/Ambulance 000
  • NSW Police Force
    • Online search facility to find the details of your local police station.
  • Victims Services NSW
    • Victims Services is part of the Attorney General's Department of NSW and consists of the Victims Compensation Tribunal and the Victims of Crime Bureau. The three bodies work together to help victims of crime in New South Wales access services and entitlements to assist in their recovery. An additional role of the Victims of Crime Bureau is to co-ordinate support to families and friends of missing people.

Employment Law

  • Australian Industrial Relations Commission
    • An independent, national tribunal dealing with employment issues including industrial dispute resolution, unfair and unlawful dismissal, awards and industrial action.
  • Fair Work Ombudsman
    • The Fairwork Ombudsman can help you to find information about pay rates and other conditions of employment that operate in NSW.
  • Industrial Relations Commission NSW
    • The Industrial Relations Commission conciliates and arbitrates to resolve industrial disputes, sets conditions of employment and fixes wages and salaries by making industrial awards, approves enterprise agreements and decides claims of unfair dismissal.
  • NSW Industrial Relations
    • Information for employees and employers on NSW employment laws through a free telephone service, the OIR website and a range of publications.
  • WorkCover NSW
    • The primary objective of WorkCover Authority of NSW is to work in partnership with the NSW community to achieve safe workplaces, effective return to work and security for injured workers.

Law for Young People

  • Law Stuff
    • Website of the National Childrens and Youth Law Centre. Includes a wide range of legal information and LawMail, a legal advice service provided for young people by email.
  • Shopfront Youth Legal Centre
    • A free legal service for homeless and disadvantaged young people aged 25 and under.


  • Energy and Water Ombudsman
    • EWON provides an independent way of resolving customer complaints about all electricity and gas suppliers in NSW and some water suppliers.
  • Financial Ombudsman
      • The Financial Ombudsman Service provides accessible, fair and independent dispute resolution for consumers and financial service providers.
  • NSW Ombudsman
    • The NSW Ombudsman has the role of investigating and reporting complaints about government departments and statutory authorities, including police, schools, universities and TAFEs. It ensures that the agencies it monitors are carrying out their functions properly, in compliance with the law and with a view to improving their services to the public.
  • Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman
    • The Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman is a free and independent alternative dispute resolution scheme for small business and residential consumer in Australia with unresolved complaints about their telephone or internet services.

Other Legal Services

  • Community Justice Centres
    • Provide free mediation and conflict management service to help people resolve disputes.
  • Financial Rights Legal Centre
    • Provides free telephone legal advice to NSW consumers on credit, debt and banking matters. However, they cannot provide advice to businesses.
  • Financial Counsellors Association of NSW
    • Financial Counsellors will help you to assess your financial situation, provide you with information, options and choices to allow you to make informed decisions.
  • Find a Financial Counsellor
    • Financial counselling is a free community service provided by financial counsellors working in non-profit organizations that assist consumers who are experiencing financial problems. This link will help you find a financial counsellor in your area.
  • knowmore
    • knowmore is an independent, national legal service established to provide free legal advice and assistance, information and referral services to people engaging or considering engaging with the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse.
      If you or someone you know were sexually abused as a child in an institution, knowmore provides legal help to negotiate the Royal Commission.
  • NSW Office of Fair Trading
    • The Office of Fair Trading safeguards consumer rights and advises business and traders on fair and ethical practice. Unfair practices are investigated. Consumers of everyday goods and services can obtain assistance with resolving disputes. People who are renting, building or renovating, buying or selling property or living in strata scheme property can obtain information and assistance.
  • NSW Trustee and Guardian
    • The Public Trustee is responsible for the making of wills, acts as executor in deceased estates, manages trusts and provides Attorney Services.
  • Reporting a Scam
    • Many people are scammed every year in Australia and it is often difficult to identify and track down the scammers. If you have been scammed or you think you have been scammed take the time to report it.
  • Tenants NSW
    • Online information and advice for tenants in NSW.
  • Welfare Rights Centre
    • Provide advice and representation on all social security matters. They can provide assistance to people by advising them of their rights and entitlements and assisting them to appeal against Centrelink decisions which they disagree with.