Kingsford Legal Centre's volunteer solicitors are one of our most valuable assets because the Centre could not conduct the advice sessions without the involvement of these dedicated and competent lawyers.
Our volunteers attend an advice session at the Centre one Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday night per fortnight at the Kingsford Legal Centre, which is located on the UNSW campus in Kensington. Volunteer Solicitors commit to attending the same evening advice session — i.e. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday — every fortnight. We have very limited capacity for remote advice so please make a note of that when you are applying, if attending in person is an issue for you. Volunteer solicitors' role is to provide legal advice to clients and to work with UNSW law students at the Centre. Volunteer lawyers attend the advice sessions to assist and advise clients who would otherwise not have access to legal advice and representation. An important aspect of volunteering is to ensure that clients who attend the Centre receive the same quality of advice and assistance as clients who can afford to pay for legal services.
Kingsford Legal Centre encourages solicitors with a current NSW practicing certificate and at least 18 months experience to apply to volunteer at the centre.
KLC Volunteer Comments about Volunteering
- Meeting colleagues and updating my knowledge.
- Helping people
- Affording people who otherwise may not be able to afford legal advice or be eligible for legal aid access to justice and (in some circumstances) being able to resolve their dispute or give a clear path forward in just one meeting.
- Working together and brainstorming.
- Getting to help people!
- Teamwork and collegiate. Proving solutions for the clients. The variety.
- Volunteer solicitors commitment to turn up each fortnight
- Different to my day to day work; every client presents a challenge to get on top of an unfamiliar area of law and to engage in problem solving; gain genuine insight into people's lives, a very authentic experience; permanent staff at KLC are very nice and helpful
- Improving access to justice whilst giving students a unique insight into non-corporate law.
- Well organised, friendly staff, meeting other volunteers, helping develop students, opportunity to help someone who is feeling overwhelmed or us empowered by their situation.
- I like giving back to the community and being able to help those in need